Beyond Textbooks is easy for any teacher to use. Any educator with the following requirements can start using BT:
– A computer with the ability to open MS Office™, iWork ‘08™ or Office Office™ files
– Broadband Internet access
– Basic web-browser and productivity software skills
– A desire to connect with other educators
With simple Internet connectivity and the tools that come with every computer sold today, an educator can have access to the collective knowledge of teachers across Arizona.
The key to BT success is educator involvement. The curriculum calendars, curriculum documents, and resources in the BT Website were made for teachers, by teachers. Additionally, to ensure that your implementation of BT is successful, required trainings are provided during the first second year of use. A BT Implementation Rubric also serves as a road map to identify where an organization is at and what the goals for implementation will be.
**STEP ONE – DISTRICT ADMINISTRATION OVERVIEW OF THE BT VISION
Superintendent, building principals, and district level curriculum staff meet with BT staff for a 2.5 hour overview and opportunity to make a decision on moving forward with BT.
**STEP TWO – TEACHER BUY IN OF THE BT VISION MEETING
BT staff meet with key teacher leaders, superintendent, building principals, and district level curriculum staff for a 2.5 hour overview designed to gain the buy in of teachers and provide administration with an opportunity to develop further understanding of BT.
**TWO DAY LEADERSHIP RETREAT
The Leadership Retreat is meant to give your organization’s key stakeholders a chance to become more familiar with the theory and practices that make BT a success. Key stakeholders will typically include your superintendent, a governing board member, district and site curriculum staff, district or site technology staff, principals, and selected teacher representatives from each school site.
Day One Agenda – (6 hour training)
– Overview of Beyond Textbooks Pyramid
– Overview of 7 Key BT Starting Points (Essential Standards, Unwrapped Documents, Curriculum Calendars, Specific Materials, BT Wiki, Common Formative Assessments, Reteach and Enrich)
– Check for Understanding
– Preview of BT Implementation Rubric recommendation
Day Two Agenda – (6 hour training)
– Keys to Implementation
–Study BT Implementation Rubric and Identify Key Findings and Next Steps from each of the seven rubrics
– Create a plan for implementation of the 7 Key BT Starting Points
**REQUIRED SUPPORTING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT CONFERENCES
– BT 101 – (7 Key BT Starting Points & Wiki Facilitation) – three and a half hours training (year one)
– BT 102 – (Review of the 7 Key BT Starting Points & advanced Wiki Facilitation) – three and a half hours training (year one)
– Reteach and Enrich – three hour training (year one)
– PLC's – five or three hour training (year one)
OPTIONAL BT IMPLEMENTATION OPPORTUNITIES
**ADDITIONAL FREE MONTHLY TRAININGS (examples)
– Common Formative Assessments
– Using Curriculum Calendars Effectively
– What Do Data Teams Look Like?
– Pre and Post AIMS Planning
– BT Partner Super Conference (Year Two Pre-Planning)
– BT NTI – Creating an Effective New Teacher Induction
**UNLIMITED PHONE AND E-MAIL ACCESS TO BT STAFF
Members of the Beyond Textbooks staff are available for unlimited questions via phone and/or e-mail and will work to get back to you in a timely fashion to address your needs.
**SITE VISITS WITH VAIL SCHOOLS
Your organization may send teachers and administration to any of our schools to conduct observations and interviews regarding various aspects of Vail’s instructional process.
**ACCESS TO ADDITIONAL PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OFFERINGS
Beyond Textbooks provides ongoing professional development offerings that are available to you if you would like to send your staff members to Vail for training.